Sunday, October 19, 2008

This is Just to Tell You

That I have
killed my
wife that was
in the painting

and which you
probably
thought
I had loved

Forgive me
she was beautiful
so happy
and so alive


My parody is a mix of two poems, similar to Hudgins' "The Swans Skip School". I took the plot from Robert Browning's "My Last Duchess" and put it into an apology note. I thought that the surface tone is as non-chalant as William's "This is Just to Say" (Although Browning's character has a lot more going on under the surface). I imitated the general form of Williams' poem, I tried to match syllables roughly, but didn't strictly follow that. The visual form including stanzas and enjambment/line length is similar to the original. This poem is a summary of the overall message of "My Last Duchess". It's basically everything that the speaker is hinting at and trying not to say.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

I like how your parody embodies the basic idea behind "the Last Duchess." And the way in which you worded it: "probably thought I had loved," truly made me think of the Duke and the way in which he was somewhat indifferent towards the love of the Duchess and more concerned with his worldly possessions.

SpApA said...

I like the ingenuity of your poem, tying in another poem into the form of Williams's, similar to what Hudgins did in his parody. I also like how you matched the tone with Williams, altering severity of the crime in a huge way. That's what parodies are all about anyways. Good job.

Ryan Dent said...

I think that it is great that instead of just doing a parody of the one poem you used two like the poem Hudgins. Both are excellent poems which really have very little in common which I think makes it better to combine them. I like that you used something extremely serious unlike the plums in the "This is Just to Say."

wolf said...

wow, this is real cool.
it real cool.
I really like how you parody two poems(Last Duchess, this is just to say)and put it into one poem.
you really did a great job. And i personally think that you did much better than Hudgins. You pointed out all the hintings of speaker.
oh well, it is just real cool.